Shelly Meltzer, established and heads up the Dietary Practice at the Sports Science Institute of South Africa in 1995, started the Trufood Station in 2008 with Jenny Ann Smuts, and in 2012 opened a partnership practice in Gauteng. She has 30 years experience in clinical, community and corporate nutrition and has built an international reputation in sports nutrition.
Significant Projects and Contracts:
- Provided dietary interventions and advice for SA Sports Teams (including Rugby, Sevens Rugby, Canoeing, Canoe Polo; Cricket, Soccer, Surfing, Americas Cup Shosholoza team, Olympic and Paralympic athletes).
- Consultant dietitian for SA Rugby.
- Organized and managed the food services and interventions for the IRB Sevens Tournaments in George and Port Elizabeth (2008-2015); the ICC Six Nations Series in Namibia; Canoe Camps; and set up food services at various rugby academies in South Africa and for International teams travelling to SA.
- Run practical workshops and cooking courses for referees, coaches, and athletes (including Paralympians).
- Consultant dietitian for several expeditions, including the 2006 Great Wall of China run (Braam Malherbe and David Grier) and the Scott-Amundsen Centenary Race to the South Pole in 2012 (for Braam Malherbe).
- Past Board member of SA Institute for Drug Free Sport; served on the Scientific & Medical Committee for SA Rugby and other sports medicine bodies (SA Sports Commission, the NOCSA High Performance Programmes, SASMA and PINES committees).
Consulting to business and industry
- From 2004-2014 managed the national network of dietitians and content development for the 'Making the Difference' Woolworths Programme. This included curriculum and talks for children, parents, shopping tours and a tuck shop guide.
- For Old Mutual, Allan Gray, Adidas, Nomu, SAD, Roche, Abbott Laboratories, Parmalat, Premier Foods, Pioneer Foods, amongst others, have been involved in a variety of projects ranging from Executive Wellness Programmes and staff education to food service management, product and nutritional material development. Shelly also travelled on board a container ship to assess the dietary needs of seafarers for Safmarine Maersk and, for Working on Fire, assessed and determined ration packs for the women fire fighters.
Lecturing, research and writing
- Co-authored Eating for Sport, published by Struik and New Holland.
- Developed the content for the SSISA online nutrition course, Virgin Active short courses and the nutritional content for BokSmart and has written many other book chapters, articles and manuals on sports nutrition and other nutrition-related content, presenting locally and internationally on these topics.
- Initiated and ran short courses on sports nutrition for dietitians in South Africa.
- Part-time Senior Lecturer and Research Supervisor for post-graduate students in the Department of Human Biology at UCT.
- Faculty member of the Sri Ramachandra Arthroscopy & Sports Science Centre, in Chennai, India.
Phone: 021 659 5646
Cell: 082 895 6098